Friday, August 29, 2008

Political Cable against You-Tube?

Many people in today's society retrieve their information from Internet sources such as YouTube and Yahoo. The cable networks have feared for many years that these popular websites are slowly taking away their ad revenue . In order to keep this from happening the cable industry has come up with its own television network Canoe Ventures. This network is based on advertisements and political information.
I believe this idea is sufficient to politicians who spend most of their day wondering what's going on in he world; however this programing may not be persuasive because the viewers who aren't into advertisement of any sort may not decide to waste their time on changing to the channel. I personally wouldn't be one.

6 comments:

furioussteve said...

It sounds like a good idea for cable companies to compete with the internet. It is definitely better than doing nothing and slowly losing ad revenue. However, I think the internet will always be dominant.

Shanice_Gray said...

I totally agree with you about the internet becoming the main source of news today, which is a scary thing because anybody can post what ever they want on the internet if they know what they are doing. Soon there maay not even be news broadcasted on television, but I hope that does not happen.

Dan McGlone said...

I think it is a good idea for politicians to make speeches available on demand on television. It is a good way for people who don't have time to follow the news stations to get the important details about our upcoming election.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you covered a different topic than everyone else. I did not know the cable companies were not like youtube but it makes sense. I agree that making a channel for adds will not help much because people will not watch it.

Kristin said...

There is money to be made in a changing market. That said, companies have to radically change their approach and be willing to modernize.

cannse3 said...

It' true. The internet is mainly where people get their information from lately. Nobody has time to watch newscasts for 30 minutes at a time, as oppose to maybe 30 seconds it would take to look online. It is good for cable t not give up though, I agree because for the rest of time people will continue to watch television regardless.