Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"The Associated Press Guilt Pains"

The AP (Associated Press) made an announcement on Thursday offering discounts to newspapers and removal to retsrictions on articles they recieve.

According to the NYTimes the AP has made their decision based on frustrations of newspapers and news stating that some of them may leave the cooperative.

The company is convinced that the changes would raise the savings to newsrooms from $21 million a year to $30 million.

"We fully understand the pain and the challenges of our members, and we have worked to address these concerns," Tom Curly president and chief executive officer of the A.P said.

I think that the A.P is trying to be sincere to the fact that the newspapers are suffering. They are trying to gain there respect back, however I think that they still are and will always be selfish and inconsiderate when it come wages.

5 comments:

Leah said...

Good!

I'm glad the AP actually listened to their customers (our newspapers).

I hope that the AP and the press will see this as a first step towards cooperation. Hopefully, they ca help each other out, which will in turn help the entire newspaper business.

Thanks for sharing this news with us.

cannse3 said...

This was a good topic to choose to write about. I have been following this issue, and its good to finally see that the AP is finally showing a little remorse. Hopefully everything will work out okay in the end for the newspaper industry.

Shannon said...

I wonder if they decided that out of the own generosity of their hearts or after so many members left them. I wonder if they are going to do anything about the way they have been treating their members, like not delivering what they need or acting as a competitor.

Anonymous said...

Good to see some change happening. These are the steps the AP and the country must take, in order to get back on our feet. A company helping here or there in similar ways. Stop being greedy. It is like cutting the fat.

Ramen Ninja said...

News like this really comes as a relief. The whole future of news publications has started to look bleak for me, as a journalism major.

Perhaps we may be able to work our way through this after all.