Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Game Show Hosts

Many people fail to realize the hard work that it takes to host a television show.

According to the New York Times Kevin Belinkoff, vice president for original programming at The Game Show Network, has been loaded with resumes from performers trying to earn their spot in hosting a game show.

Some interesting stars including Alfonso Ribeiro, Will Smith's cousin off of the show entitled The Fresh Prince, would like a chance to expand their career.

The NYTimes reports that game shows are inexpensive, to produce, can be sold in the same format around the world, and are appealing to the viewers.

"A bad host can ruin a good game," Belinkoff said, "but a great host can't rescue a game that's flawed."

I find it interesting that alot of actors and performers would like their chance to host a television broadcast. It would give them alot of publicity and the network may even gain an excess amount of credibility from a star that viewers already know of compared to that of a new face. Game shows are becoming very important in todays society.

6 comments:

furioussteve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
furioussteve said...

I agree with you that having a star hosting a show does give the show a better chance of having high ratings. It is definitely better to have somebody with experience behind the camera.

Shanice_Gray said...

Game shows are becoming extremly popular today so if a celeb wants to get more publicity a games show is the perfect time to do it. I always wonder where they get all the money from that they are giving away since they are so cheap to start.

Shannon said...

I agree that a bad host can ruin a TV game show. I think that Drew Carey is ruining The Price Is Right. That show was great because Bob Barker provided it with character and he always had a quirk about him that Drew Carey just does not have. Bob always knew what the audience wanted to hear and knew how to keep the audience in check.

I don't have a problem with Drew Carey. I just feel that he is not the right man for the job. It definitely had to be like stepping in backwards for him for his acting/comedic career. I mean he had his own show and he was host of the fake game show Who's Line Is It Anyways and those two shows were hilarious. I don't think that PIR is going to give him credibility. It's a great show and it probably has a lot of viewers but it does not give him the chance to shine. I almost feel bored when I watch now and I love that show!

Maybe he is a bad example of a celebrity game show host but he is the only one that really bothers me.

I think that if you have to take a step backwards in career, do not do it just for the money. People can tell when you are not being genuine.

Anonymous said...

Host can defiantly make or break a game show. The funny thing to me is the fact that some stars have ruined their careers becoming game show hosts. It can be some what embarrassing or maybe the word to use is pathetic. Some of those people failed in their field whether it be comedy, music, or acting.

cannse3 said...

TV shows always have celebrity hosts, because 99% of the time it means high ratings. Especially if you look at most all reality television shows on tv today. However, I believe it kind of lacks creativity because its expected.