The first black women to be a reporter at the New York Times died Sunday in Los Angeles at the age of 61, according to an article entitled Nancy Hicks Dies at 61; a Groundbreaking Black Journalist. She died due to organ failure, the report says.
The article goes on to explain how Nancy Mayard first became interested in journalism as a teenager. A fire destroyed her former elementary school in Harlem, and she became upset at the way the media portrayed this event. She wanted to make a difference, the reporter stated.
Mayard was hired by the Times in 1968. She covered everything from race riots to the complexities of medicare.
I think that this is a devestating loss. I can relate in a way to Mayard not only because of my ethnicity but because I gained interested in reporting the same way she did. I witnessed something brutal and didn't like the way the media portrayed the event. Being reporter of The Times is a reward in itself and I know she lived a good life.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is a devestating lost. I would have liked to talk to Nancy Hicks, and get some advice being a black female and trying to enter a majority caucasian work field. She must have been an excellent writting to write for the New York in 1968 when there was more rasism then there is now.
It sounds like she lived a fulfilling life. I also like the way she decided to become a journalist. I really admire the way she wanted to make a difference in the media.
Mrs. Hicks Mayard sounds like a very interesting woman. I like the fact that she wanted to make a difference in media and with the portrayal of African Americas at that time. It is sad that she died at such a young age.
Also what I found interesting that in the obituary there were many mistakes that had to be corrected later.
Great story. Terrible loss. However, i expect she led a very fulfilling life writing across the years starting from the sixties. It is inspirational to see stories about people who truly were pioneers.
That is to bad we lost a good reporter. Her reason for becoming a journalist was unique. I never thought of becoming a reporter to make sure media is fair.
I really enjoyed reading about this topic. She made the best of her abilities and accomplished her dreams. I really respect her.
Post a Comment