Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Journalist Retires After 55 Years Working Tabloids

After 55 years in journalism, Steve Dunleavy is seeing the curtain come down on his career, according to an article entitled A 'Tabloid Guy' Calls it A Night After 41 Years with Murdoch.


Dunleavy, a tabloid journalist for Murdoch has decided to retire after 55 years in journalism, 41 if them spent working for Murdoch.


Murdoch's brand of tabloid journalism was personalized by Dunleavy in print and on television. An interesting tabloid that was written by Dunleavy was an article about Wayne Dumond, who was accused of raping one of Bill Clinton's distance cousins.

Murdoch explained to the Times how as a young copyboy, Dunleavy was so anxious for a story that he popped the tires of his father's car at a murder scene earning his paper a "big scoop."


According to the Times, Steve was involved in educating America about the pleasures and joys of tabloid journalism.


I think that Dunleavy was very sucessful in his career as a journalist. He has been in the business for a very long time and is leaving with a bang. I find it very interesting on how his career started as a little boy. He wanted to get footage of a story and did whatever it took.

5 comments:

Shanice_Gray said...

I'm pretty sure anyone who spends 55 years doing something should be great at it. I like how you said he poped the tires to his fathers car just to get a story, but im sure anybody who is serious about their work and loves what they do would probably do something simular. Dunleavy seemed like a great guy.

furioussteve said...

He sounds like a true journalist. That is very humerous that he actually popped his father's tires just to get a story. He must have truly loved his job since he did it for 55 years.

cannse3 said...

This man truley loved writing for the media, I mean he did spend 55 years doing it! I think its cool that someone is that dedicated, and agree that he is leaving with a "bang!"

Shannon said...

It is so sad that he has to retire because of his poor health. There was is an awesome quote in the article. “I always had dreams of dying at the desk,” he said. That is amazing to be that passionate about your work. It's too bad that all the tabloid stuff now is about stupid celebrities doing nothing important. Dunleavy did real tabloid articles with important people with interesting conflicts.

Anonymous said...

He spent his life devoted to news for sure. I wonder if he likes the way the tabloids have become. They seem to have moved away from reporting on important stories and more into what happens in celebrities' life.