Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Wireless Celebrity Gossip

Celebrity gossip has been a profitable staple of print, radio, and television according to an article entitled All the Celebrities You Want, On Your Cellphone.

The article discusses how the cell phone has been the latest medium of celebrity gossip.

Beating People.com, the website of the pop culture magazine, TMZ.com began a mobile offering last April and sucessfully had 1.1. million visitors in July. People has in turn decided to create a specific application for the iphone dedicated to celebrities to gain back its credibility.

Because more mobile phones have location-tracking abilities, it is easier to spread the news of celebrity gossip, according to the article.

"We are all going to be walking television stations," said Jeff Selllinger, the general manager for CBS mobile.

I don't find it a suprise that alot of people are interested in celebrity gossip and tend to it everywhere they go including on their cell phones. This is a good benefit towards these active magazine corporations, however I feel a little sorry for the celebrities. Privacy definitely is not in their vocabulary.

5 comments:

cannse3 said...

I think this was a very cool topic to write about. I also noticed this was going on, because I admit that I do visit these celebrity based sites like TMZ, and Perez Hilton. I know that recently Perezhilton.com has recently jumped on the bandwagon as well offering celebrity gossip to be sent to you cellphone.

Shannon said...

This is getting ridiculous. I am a lover of celebrity gossip but honestly! Who really needs up to the second information sent to their cellphone about their favorite celebrity for $3.99 a month?

I think these gossip magazines are going a little too far just to make an extra buck.

Ramen Ninja said...

It is all about mass media convergence. If it was not for the internet and electronic mediums like cell phones, ideas like these would never have come into existence.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

I think it is sad people are so into what others are doing that they are using their phone to keep tabs on them. the people who are part of this like Kardashian are seeking attention and people like to watch. All of the money spent on this trivial stuff could be put to such better use.

c.nolan said...

I work in cell phones and it's obvious that more and more people are using mobile web, so more people must be getting their news this way.

As for celebs, I've never understood peoples fasination with other peoples' lives...but it does sell.