Most people like exciting stories that will grasp their attention. But where do you draw the line? According to a news article entitled Readers See Bias in US Weekly's Take on Sarah Palin, Us Weekly Magazine had no problem creating an "attention getter."
This month a cover story which featured political candidate Sarah Palin recieved more than 1 million website views.
According to the article, many people feel that US Weekly is bias. In a June cover featuring Barack Obama and his wife, US Weekly entitled the cover "Why Barrack loves Her," however, felt differently about Palin with the title of "Babies, Lies, and Scandal."
Palin's fans aren't very happy with Us Weekly. The article recognized a quote from one of the viewers saying, "Stick to your mindless gossip and leave real journalism to those that have the know-how." Another went on to say that Weekly had no business covering politics in the first place.
I think that Us Weekly was not being bias at all. A title that is an overview on the topics that will be covered in the duration of the magazine is a magazine that is doing its job. Palin certainly has more issues under her sleeve than Obama, she should have knew that the press was going to comment on her livlihood even if it was a little exaggerated. That is the responsibility of journalists. Palin opened a door to her issues and the press took advantage and walked in.
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I completely agree, US Weekly is just doing their job. They are always in someone's business and this issue just happens to cover Palin who is extremely infamous right now. That issue sold a lot, and that is the only reason that US Weekly had her on the cover. I seriously doubt that US Weekly tried to get political at all.
Sometimes Us Weekly and other magazines like it do seem like they are being harsh at times, but then again they have a job to do, and that job is to make a story worth reading.
You reap what you sow and Sarah Palin has scandals because she created them. Any person that wants creationism taught in schools scares me. Not to offend any ones faith but that would mean teaching the earth is 5000 years old... I mean come on. There will always be biased magazines as long as there are opinions.
I think the magazine was obviously wanting to stir up some controversy and apparently it worked. It does seem unfair that they are so nice to Obama and mean to Palin though. I'm sure there are plenty of demons in Obama's closet as well.
I agree with you that US weekly is not at all being biased. If they would have had some juicy scandal to report on Obama they would have done it without hesitation. US weekly was just in the right place at the right time, along with most of the country, to pass judgement on a woman and her daughter.
This was such a good topic to choose!
I saw the cover of the magazine and immediatly remembered the June issue with Obama's wife on it as well. It's obviously an incredibly bias magazine, and im really not sure I want to read it anymore...
I think it was good of US Weekly to do the article. I feel like the media has been too easy on Palin. She finally today spoke to the press. She has lied about many issues already, but no one is really talking about it!
Post a Comment